To learn how to choose a bathroom faucet with a shower, it's not enough just to come to the store and listen to the seller's advice. Only after carefully studying the design features of the device, the principle of operation of its mechanisms, their advantages and disadvantages can make a good choice.
- 1 What type of bathtub faucets with a shower is best to choose
- 2 The difference and choice of the mechanism for switching the shower is a spout
- 3 Spills - which are most convenient for bath-shower mixers
- 4 Nozzle is spouted: economy or convenience
- 5 Choosing a shower hand shower
- 6 Types and types of fixing of bath-shower mixers
- 7 Steel, brass, ceramics or silumin - choose the best
- 8 Coating of mixers
- 9 Manufacturers and brands
- 10 Summing up
- 11 Video: How to choose a mixer
- 12 Take part in the survey:
What type of bathtub faucets with a shower is best to choose
All bathroom faucets can be divided into two large groups - crane-pedestal and single-lever mixers. These devices differ among themselves both by the controls and by the mechanisms that ensure the mixing of water.
Bath - shower faucet-bead mixers
Faucet-pedestal mixers are the most popular and easy to manufacture, and therefore cheaper. The name they received by the name of the main element of the structure, through which the flow and regulation of the flow of water.
Faucet-pedestal bath-shower mixer.
Devices come in two varieties:
1. Worms - with a rubber cuff. The cuff is attached to the stem, when the valve is turned, the worm gear extends the stem, closing the opening from which water flows.
- 1. Stock;
- 2. O-rings;
- 3. Slip ring;
- 4. Piston;
- 5. Locking pad (rubber, silicone);
- 6. Housing;
- 7. Fat chamber;
- 8. Protective shell;
- 9. Screw for fastening the gasket.
+ Pros: The main advantage of the crane-axle box of this type is the cheapness of the product and the reliability of the metal mechanism. In addition, it is very easy to repair such a mixer. It all comes down to replacing the locking cuff made of dense rubber or silicone.
- Minuses: Of the disadvantages, it should be noted not too great usability. To obtain water of the required temperature and flow intensity, it is necessary to turn the valve 3-4 times. All this time the water will be wasted, so that the economy of the crane is rather doubtful. The locking cuff periodically starts leaking, but if the replacement is done by one's own hands, then this is not such a big problem.
2. Ceramic - have two plates with oblong holes, one of them is fixedly fixed in the body, and the other is attached to the rod. Turning the valve and moving the movable plate, it is possible to combine the holes and open the access to the water flow.
- 1. Bracket;
- 2. Stock;
- 3. Noise suppressor;
- 4. Top ceramic plate;
- 5. Case of the axle box;
- 6. Lower ceramic plate;
- 7. Rubber ring;
- 8. Ceramic crane-bush assembly.
+ Pros: The advantages of ceramic faucet-axle are first of all convenience of operation. The rod is rotated only by 180º (half-turn) or 90º (quarter). The mechanism is reliable and durable, does not generate extraneous noise and does not require the application of excessive force when opening.
- Minuses: Disadvantages are the high cost of the product. Sensitivity to water with solid impurities, which lead to rapid wear of ceramic plates. It is almost impossible to repair the crane-axle, it has to be changed completely.
IMPORTANT! To prevent rapid failure, ceramic crane-boxes in the water supply pipe is cut by a coarse filter.
CONCLUSIONS. If financial possibilities allow, it is advisable to purchase a ceramic faucet, but if the tap water is dirty, and small repairs of plumbing do not present problems, it is much cheaper to purchase a mixer on worm-cocks.
To independently determine the type of the crane-axle mixer, simply turn the flywheels. In the ceramic handles rotate only half turn, the worm rotation continues on.
Bath-shower single-lever mixers
Achieving the required temperature and the required value of the water jet head, in these mixers, occurs by means of a cartridge. In the people such mixers are called one-armed - the control of all processes is made by one handle.
Despite the different from the previous mixer, the principle of operation of the cartridge is similar to that of a ceramic faucet. Mixing and pressure of water are carried out by the same ceramic plates, rotating relative to each other, with all the ensuing advantages and disadvantages.
It has the same principle of operation and basic construction as the ceramic crane-bush.
It consists of two ceramic plates with holes. The lower fixed (A) through which hot and cold water enters and there is a drain hole and an upper movable (B).
The water temperature and pressure depend on the area of alignment of the holes on the two plates.
Thermostatic mixers have appeared quite recently, but they have already found their customers. The device is a panel with buttons for turning off and turning on the water, a temperature and water pressure control knob, a hole or a tap for jet exit.
Due to the built-in software that maintains the intensity of the jet head, the water temperature, the mixer is the safest of all previously listed devices.
Thermostatic mixers can be:
Electronic - equipped with LCD screen. The operation of such devices requires the connection of a network adapter or conventional batteries.
Mechanical - regulating the process with the help of handles and valves. Additional power supplies are not required.
The principle of operation of such a device is as follows. The flow of water into the mixing chamber regulates the valve, not reacting to temperature, but to the intensity of the flow. If the pressure of one stream is greater or less, the capacity of the second gateway will also change accordingly.
The difference and choice of the mechanism for switching the shower is a spout
According to the type of shower-spout switching, bath-shower mixers can be:
1. With an eccentric shower-spout mechanism. Due to the rotation of the handle, through the eccentric, there is a movement of the double-sided rod with rubber gaskets at the edges. Depending on the required mode, one of the holes closes in the shower or in the spout.
- The mechanism is quite reliable and cheap. Its repair, and even more complete replacement is not difficult.
- It is mounted on any type of crane, the main thing is that the diameters of the spout and the mechanism coincide.
- Gaskets of rubber wear out quickly.
- Significant dimensions of the product, if the mixer attachment must be made high above the bathroom.
- With frequent turns of the spout, joints are loosened and need to be tightened constantly so that they do not leak.
2. With cartridge switching mechanism for shower-spout. The mechanism is represented by one device - the cartridge.
- The mechanism is the most reliable and durable, it is easy and quick to replace.
- Has attractive design simple convenient operation, small dimensions.
- The cartridge itself can not be repaired, after a failure, a complete replacement is required.
- There may be problems with the compatibility of some "universal" cartridges from repair kits. It is recommended to purchase parts of the same manufacturer company as the mixer.
3. With ball-type shower-deviator. The main assembly is a ball with holes, located between two annular gaskets. Water, getting into one of the side holes of the ball, goes into the spout or shower through the other.
- It is considered the most reliable and durable for today.
- The deviator's mechanism is integrated into the mixer body and is non-separable. If the switch fails, its repair is impossible, it is necessary to change the entire mixer.
4. With a cork drainage diverter switch-spout. The principle of operation of the device is similar to eccentric. But the locking mechanism is not driven by the rotary handle, but by raising or lowering the original cap.
- Externally, the device looks very compact and stylish.
- The dimensions of the mixer do not increase.
- Switching is quite easy, provided that the design provides relief protrusions.
- It is complicated in repair, it is very difficult to get the necessary parts.
According to the type of mechanisms, shower-spouts are built-in and external:
1. Mixers with built-in mechanisms.
Advantages of the built-in mechanisms consist in compactness of the mixer itself, reliability of operation and absence of leaks. In addition, most models with the integrated mechanism are controlled by one movement: by pressing the button or by turning the lever.
The main drawback can be considered the complexity of the repair, the only exception is the cartridge mixer, where you just need to replace the entire mechanism. In some models, after the deviator fails, the entire mixer is replaced.
2. Mixers with external mechanisms.
External mechanisms are attached between the mixer and the spout, with an additional outlet for the shower hose. Their main advantage is the ease of installation, maintenance and replacement.
They are quite inconvenient to use, mixers with them have a not very aesthetic appearance, for their installation the faucet must be at a considerable height above the bathroom. If the tap is located between the bathroom and the sink, and the spout is constantly moving, the use of the external deviator is rather doubtful, since it quickly begins to weaken the joints and flow from frequent movements.
Spills - which are most convenient for bath-shower mixers
The most popular model of bathroom faucets is a long spout. In the case where the washbasin and washbasin are close to each other, an additional tap is not required above the sink. Swivel spout saves money during the installation of devices, but requires additional investment during operation. Frequent rotary manipulations result in a weaker connection of the spout to the mixer. When buying a mixer with a swivel spout, pay attention to the angle of movement of the device and the length of the crane. The optimal version is more than 30 cm with a wide range of action.
Short spills appeared in bathrooms later than long ones, but managed to occupy their niche. The main advantage of such models is a small area of the required space and the possibility of installation directly on the edge of the bath. In small rooms, a short spout of the mixer will have to come in handy.
The choice of the length of the crane depends on the placement of the washbasin and the bathtub, on the footage of the room itself, and on the planned installation location of the mixer.
Nozzle is spouted: economy or convenience
When choosing the right model, pay attention to the nozzle spout. The nozzle design can be of two types: an aerator or a shower head.
The first option saves a little water. In the aerator there is a so-called "cavitation effect": mixing of the water flow with air. When the faucet is not fully open, a good water pressure is obtained at the outlet.
The second is used in two modes: a shower or a jet. The flow of water is divided into many jets, excluding the effect of spraying.
The second option is more convenient, the first one is more economical.
Choosing a shower hand shower
The choice of the shower head is huge. Asking yourself how to choose a faucet in the bathroom, check out the types and functionalities of the shower head. A variety of functions, design, irrigation area, material - how to make the right choice?
The most popular materials are plastic or metal. The metal watering can is stronger, more durable and more expensive. Plastic - cheaper, but with a shorter service life, easily breaks.
Modern shower head simply has to have several modes of feeding and spraying water. Jets can be intense, dripping, massaging - pay attention to the number and variety of modes.
Watering can without adjustment
Watering can with regulating modes
Type of shower head installation: wall, ceiling or manual. Choose manual - take care of the holder.
Types and types of fixing of bath-shower mixers
The options for fixing the faucets for bath and shower can be as follows:
On the wall
A classic and most commonly used way of installing a structure. Recommended height - 20-30 cm relative to the edge of the bathroom. When choosing the length of the spout, make sure that the water jet does not fall on the edge, but in the bath itself.
On a special rack
Applicable in the case of the location of the bath away from the wall. The complexity of the installation is justified by the interesting interior of the bathroom.
On the side of the bathtub
The method of fastening is gaining popularity. It is used for baths of complex construction with ready-made holes for installation of the mixer. If desired, the holes can be made by yourself.
On the floor
A rare and expensive installation method used in design projects.
Steel, brass, ceramics or silumin - choose the best
When arranging the bathroom, pay attention not only to the principle of operation, design and method of attachment of the mixer. Be sure to ask the sellers what material it is made of:
- Stainless steel is the most practical and most popular option. Mixer made of steel is reliable, durable, inexpensive, looks good in any interior.
- Brass or bronze have a longer service life, look stylish, but also cost more.
- Ceramics attracts a variety of designs, interesting shapes. Disadvantages include fragility and a high price;
- Silumin is cheap, but the most unreliable material. Service life of the mixer of any configuration is 1-2 years.
If you need a quality mixer that works clearly and without failures - stop the choice on brass or steel.
Coating of mixers
For the external coating of the mixers, enamel, chrome, stainless steel is used, various sprays are used.
- Enamelled coatings give the product a matte or granular texture. On the surface of the enamel there are no traces of touching fingers and drops of water.
- Chromed coating increases the strength and hygiene of the mixer. They are beautiful and easy to care for.
The question is how to choose the right mixer for the bathroom, so as not to regret the purchase is almost solved. But there is one more criterion which it is desirable to take into account when acquiring the plumbing.
Manufacturers and brands
Want to get the famous German quality and relatively inexpensive prices - pay attention to Grohe faucets. The company appeared on the market in the late 90s of the twentieth century and continues to maintain a strong position among manufacturers and exporters of mixers.
- Careful control of each stage of manufacturing.
- Strict compliance with the percentage of materials for the production of cranes.
- Corrosion protection.
- Analysis of the quality of the ebb of every hundredth sanitary unit.
The Danish manufacturer of stylish bathroom faucets has combined in its devices quality and recognizable unique style. For more than 80 years of existence, the brand has been appreciated by many buyers - almost 50 thousand mixers are delivered to the stores every day.
- Use in production of the newest innovative technologies.
- The official five-year guarantee.
- Significant reduction in water consumption.
- Stylish design and full compliance with the requirements.
Mixers made at Finnish enterprises are an ideal combination of design of models, electronics, modern materials and alloys.
- Passage of obligatory bench tests excludes the possibility of leakage or breakage of sanitary products.
- Automatic compensation of pressure difference and temperature conditions in the water supply system.
- Reliability, durability, ease of use.
- Economical use of water resources.
After analyzing the data provided, it is possible to draw certain conclusions about which mixer to choose for a bathroom with a shower.
For consumers of the middle class, the most optimal in terms of quality performance and price category is a single-lever mixer. The mechanism of switching the shower-spout - cartridge built-in.
Devices with a crane-axle principle of operation, using as an eccentric switch, are not only morally obsolete, but also have a short service life.
Behind thermostatic mechanisms are the future. As soon as the price of programmable mixers decreases, their sale will sharply go up.