Many of us on our own experience have felt what discomfort can deliver excessively dry air. He feels it in his throat, he wants to sneeze, the skin flakes, the general state of health worsens. Allergy sufferers may experience an exacerbation, and children are capricious and sleep poorly. An exit from a situation can become purchase of the humidifier - the special device leading a microclimate in norm. There are several types of this device that differ in the principle of operation. One of the most popular are ultrasonic and steam devices. To understand what kind of humidifier is better - ultrasonic or steam, we compare these two devices.
- 1 Difference in the device and principle of operation of ultrasonic and steam humidifiers
- 2 Advantages and disadvantages of ultrasonic and steam humidifier
- 3 In which case is it better to use a steam and ultrasonic humidifier
- 4 Video: Which air humidifier is best to buy
Difference in the device and principle of operation of ultrasonic and steam humidifiers
It is these two types of devices that increase the humidity in the room, one of the most popular today. They are able to quickly and effectively cope with their tasks. This is especially important during the heating season, when the air dryness increases rapidly.
How the ultrasonic humidifier works and how it works
A humidifier of this type is a kind of fog generator. Inside, he has a very quickly vibrating plate, (with the frequency of ultrasound). Water comes from the water tank to the plate, turning into a multitude of tiny water sprays. A fan is also provided in the design. He drives the dry room air through these sprays, as a result of which the room is evenly moistened.
When you look at the steam cloud emerging from the device, it seems that it is hotter and can burn. But it is worthwhile to substitute a hand, as you are convinced that it is not so. There is a feeling of coolness and freshness, as if you really are in the morning mist. And if also the beautiful illumination of the pair was provided by the manufacturer (in some models such option is available), it turns out very effectively and spectacularly. It's like in a fairy tale - children really like it.
Manufacturers do not stand still, equipping devices and other useful modern functions. For example, there are devices with the option of "warm steam", harmful to microbes and bacteria. And still released models, the sprayer of which rotates, sending a cloud of cold steam in all directions. Thanks to this, humidification occurs even faster and more efficiently. There are humidifiers equipped with the functions of self-cleaning and antifoaming - also very useful.
The device of the ultrasonic humidifier.
1. Clean, moistened air.
2. Tank with water.
3. AG - the cartridge.
4. Dry air.
5. Chamber of vaporization.
6. Ultrasound membrane.
7. The fan.
How the steam type humidifier works and how it works
Here you can draw a parallel with the most ordinary electric kettle. In principle, the same thing happens during the operation of the device: a hot steam jet is produced. To do this, two electrodes are connected to the water tank in the water tank. They boil water, which goes into the outlet holes in the form of hot steam. As you can see, the device is extremely simple.
Closer than ten centimeters, do not bring your hands to the working device. Yes, and passing by is desirable with caution, and then the case may result in a serious burn. This is especially dangerous when playful little children run around in the house.
By the way, most of the steam engines are designed for industrial use (for example, in tobacco and wood storage, hospitals, libraries, museums, hangars, where ready-made cigars are stored). However, there are a lot of household models. Especially they like the owners of indoor greenhouses and conservatories, as they allow the real subtropics to be created due to the high waterlogging.
The device of steam humidifier.
1. Tank with water.
2. The pallet.
3. Heating ten.
4. Steam supply chamber.
5. The atomizer.
Advantages and disadvantages of ultrasonic and steam humidifier
Without an objective comparison of the positive and negative qualities of each type of device, it is difficult to understand which humidifier is better - steam or ultrasonic. We will expand them all on the shelves for clarity.
Pros and Cons of Ultrasonic Humidifiers
+ Pros of ultrasonic humidifiers
- The ultrasonic device is completely safe, even for tiny babies. You can approach it closely and put your palms very close - only pleasant sensations from the "fog" will remain.
- The humidifier works quietly, without disturbing anyone. Only a rare low-pitched whine gives out his presence.
- A large selection of models with a different set of functions - you can always find the optimal combination of them.
- Apparatus looks stylish and beautiful. Especially those models where there is a highlight of the emerging "cold fog".
- Built-in hygrostat, which is certainly included in the kit, allows you to accurately set the desired level of moisture in the air. And also turns off the device when this level is reached. And when the need comes, it will automatically turn it on again.
- Compact size and high efficiency of work allow making the device mobile, transferring it to different rooms as needed.
- Electricity consumption is very low, so electricity bills after buying an ultrasonic device will certainly not become "transcendental".
- In the kit, as a rule, there is an ionizing rod. This is an additional barrier from viruses and microbes.
- Minuses of ultrasonic humidifiers
- For a long and high-quality service of the vibrating plate, special water is needed - soft and purified (the optimal variant is distilled, which, incidentally, is not so easy to find on sale). And if you pour from the tap, the device will serve less time.
- When using low quality water (for example, ordinary tap water), ugly whitish stains will appear on furniture, floors and walls. It's so unpleasant to show salt from the water.
- Such devices are necessarily equipped with pre-filters, requiring regular replacement (and these filters are clogged quite often). And this - additional financial costs, and not so small.
Pros and Cons of Steam Humidifiers
+ Benefits of steam humidifiers
- Possibility to use the most ordinary water from the tap. No raid on furniture, no other unpleasant consequences will arise. It will only be necessary to clean the tank of scale periodically (in the same way as a teapot).
- Enough budget price, no additional costs for cartridges to soften water (or distilled water), filters.
- Hygienic (leaving hot steam is sterile), high reliability and ultimate simplicity of design, unpretentiousness.
- High productivity - water can evaporate up to 700 milliliters in one hour. This is the best result among all devices used to humidify the air.
- The steam that exits through the outlets is absolutely sterile. Hence - there are no microbes and bacteria that are safely destroyed.
- A number of models are equipped with additional functions, which do not happen in ultrasonic devices. This can be, for example, the possibility of inhalation.
- Steam humidifiers are produced, where there is a built-in tank, which allows using aromatic oil for air disinfection and giving it a pleasant fragrance.
- Security measures are provided: the device will not be able to switch on if its cover is not fully closed. And when the water boils off, it will automatically turn off.
- Cons of steam humidifiers
- Hot sterile steam, coming out during work, is dangerous - it can get a severe burn. And boiling water inside a water reservoir can also cause harm to a person if the device is accidentally overturned. So in families with kids it is undesirable to resort to this option.
- Wooden furniture, books, expensive parquet do not like the close proximity of steam appliances. They can suffer considerably because of this.
- During prolonged operation of the humidifier, the temperature of the air in the room rises (although only by 2 degrees). If there is already so hot, then this fact does not improve the microclimate.
- The power consumption (especially compared to ultrasonic devices) is quite high. Still - imagine that you always have an electric kettle, and a powerful one. Therefore, a productive device delivered in a large room can be introduced into large expenditures.
- In most steam models, a hygrostat is not provided. In living quarters this is inconvenient, since it is possible to allow waterlogging (or, on the contrary, insufficient moisture). Therefore, usually you have to buy a humidity sensor separately and mount it.
- The noise emitted by boiling water can interfere with night rest. For children and people suffering from insomnia, this is important.
In which case is it better to use a steam and ultrasonic humidifier
Deciding on the purchase of a device that improves the microclimate, it is worth choosing it for a specific application. Only in this case, you can confidently say that it will be better - an ultrasonic or steam humidifier. Further, let us consider in more detail all these nuances. But remember that in any case it is necessary to proceed from the area of the room - it must correspond to the power of the device with a small margin. Do not buy a too powerful unit for a small room or not enough productive - for a spacious room.
Use of an ultrasonic humidifier
Such a device will be useful if:
You want to change the microclimate of the apartment quickly, with high efficiency and with small energy inputs.
You need a compact humidifier, which will need to be carried from room to room, correcting there a negative situation with dry air in a short time.
You live in an area where the air is not too polluted. No one in your family is suffering from allergic diseases.
You visit the dacha not only in summer, but also in the cold season. And in the winter use heaters, drying the air very much. The ultrasonic device will correct the position for a short time.
You will not be burdened by regular running costs: for the purchase of cartridges or distilled water, replaceable filters.
Your dream (or the dream of your loved ones) is sensitive and anxious, and you need a quiet device.
You plan to put the humidifier in the children's room, and you need an absolutely safe device. Which does not hurt either the newborn baby or the three-year-old fidget. And will not make noise, attracting attention.
You have antique furniture, which requires a special microclimate. Or it could be an extensive library of ancient rare editions, expensive musical instruments, skillful carved parquet. In general, those things that are of great value to you and do not tolerate over-dried air.
Using a steam humidifier
It is worth buying such a device, if:
You have a lot of plants in your house that love a humid and warm climate, and you expect to use the device to create maximum comfort for them.
You are the owner of a flower shop or a greenhouse.
You plan to use the humidifier for medical purposes. For example, to carry out inhalations. Or aromatize the air in the room to disinfect it.
You do not want to spend on distilled water, filters and cartridges, preferring to buy an inexpensive device and no longer care about its maintenance.
You do not have small, inquisitive children who will probably want to explore the unit more closely. Bring to a pair of palms, look inside, open the lid.
You are not afraid of large enough bills for electricity.
The device will be installed in a safe place, away from the passage, where there is no possibility of accidentally tipping it or accidentally approaching a hot steam jet.
And if you own a large cottage or a country house, then maybe you should think about purchasing a stationary steam generator, which will be connected directly to the duct system. This, of course, will require considerable expenses for the unit itself (it is expensive), its installation, connection, water supply. But then - no worries and hassle. Smart automation will do everything itself. And the hot steam will not let the microbes get in the air ducts.